1992 Coachmen Catalina Motor Home

As the kids got into high school, their summer schedule cut back our camping schedule.  Not feeling we were using the 29' trailer we owned at that time to its potential, we sold it.  A year or so later, in June 2002, we decided that tent camping wasn't cutting it, so we bought a used motor home.  It was this 1992 Coachmen, 23 1/2 foot Class C unit.

This unit gave us what we wanted at that point.  Whereas Marcia wouldn't drive while towing the big trailers, she would pilot the motor home.  It also gave the flexibility of taking our motorcycles along with us.  What we found, however, was that it really didn't have the power we needed to do that.

We owned this unit two seasons.  Probably our biggest memories of this rig would be that we owned it when we lost Marcia's dad.  Marcia drove the motor home and David drove their truck and fifth wheel up to Coles Creek State Park on the St. Lawrence in August 2003.  Genie loved camping and he loved to watch the ships on the St. Lawrence.  It was his last camping trip.

It made one trip to the Turning Stone Camping Resort in the Utica area for a Hurley family week-end.  We had one memorable trip to Maine with it hauling two Harley-Davidsons in the trailer.  It was memorable because we took a day trip from the campground on the Atlantic coast to Bangor, about a 150 mile round trip.  We made the return trip in a monsoon.  The rain was so heavy we made much of the trip on the shoulder at 25 MPH or so.  We stopped a couple of times to wait it out but it just didn't let up.  The next day, we headed out on the bikes for a lighthouse excursion and my Road Glide died.  We packed it into the trailer and headed to the H-D dealer in Augusta and found that the stator in the alternator had gone south.  It was a $800 repair on a bike that was 3 months out of warranty.  The good news was that they couldn't get the parts until the next week.  We used Marcia's Sportster for the rest of the week and hauled the bike back to Sovie's Cycle Shop in Canton where John fixed it and had H-D cover it!

We made another trip to New England with this, again towing the bikes.  On the return trip, as we were coming into Tupper Lake, we heard a snap and a repeated rapping noise.  We pulled into the parking lot of an ice cream stand and discovered that the serpentine belt had let go.  It wasn't a total break but wasn't going to last long.  Of course, it was a Sunday.  We were very close to the local state police barracks so we were about to go there and see if we could leave it in the parking lot.  We were about 100 miles from home so we could ride the bikes home and come back the next day to get the motor home fixed. Two men from the ice cream stand approached us because they saw we were having problems.  They made a couple of phone calls and a few minutes later, we were back in the motor home driving to a local garage where the mechanic just happened to be there because he had just towed in car that had been in an accident.  The trooper also happened to be there and when he found that we were from Edwards, he said he would go to the auto parts store and get the belt for us.  We figured he was just trying to make us feel good but when he returned we discovered that his father had been raised as a foster child by a family in Edwards.  His dad had lived with a family across the road from our house and he had gone to school with Marcia's uncle Bud.  In fact, they were close friends and had gone into the Navy together.  This trooper has a picture in his living room of his dad with Uncle Bud.  Small world!

We traded it in May 2004 for the Keystone Sprinter Fifth Wheel.


Reproduction of this World Wide Web Site in whole or in part is prohibited without permission. All rights reserved.
 Trademarks and copyrights are the property of the respective owners and may not be used without permission.

Website design, maintenance and hosting by David J. Schryver